Friday 14 August 2015

Respect.


“Respect is reciprocal”, is a saying my father regularly echoed in the corridors of our family home as we grew up. When I started learning about reciprocals in math classes it re-echoed - as I’m an associative learner.  By the way, I’d advise that you find out what type of learner you are, it goes a long way; far beyond exam success.

Back to respect. It should never be demanded for; respect is earned. Portray yourself as someone you would respect and treat others how you would like to be treated.


Here’s an atypical situation: One time I was at a bus stop and an elderly white man started hurling racist, abusive language in my direction – for no apparent reason. For the sole reason that he was old and I assumed he was borderline senile I chose to hold my peace, but those factors aside, did he deserve to be respected?

Sometimes we just respect others out of the respect we have for ourselves. It’s not the most fun thing to do but it is necessary in some circumstances; like how a house officer has to respect a senior registrar and they both have to respect a consultant – it’s how the world goes round. Someday the house officer would become a consultant and he’d want to be respected too; so he gives respect to whom it is due.

Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you want others to do unto you”.


It’s that simple.

4 comments:

  1. Very lovely post Liz and soo true. If not for respect for ourselves ehn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely post Liz and soo true. If not for respect for ourselves ehn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah datz right...a big world yet small u never know who u'll meet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give respect and it will come back to you.

    ReplyDelete